Re: [foxboro] Color Printers for WP70

  • From: Stan Ruth <Stan_Ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:59:47 -0600

We have been using a HP Color Laserjet 3800 printer on our Foxboro system,
and HP has drivers that support NT 4.0 for this printer.  The printer is
connected  to a WP51D processor and it works quite well.
Stan

Stan M. Ruth, P.E.
Process Control Engineer
Huntsman Port Neches Performance Products Site

Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/17/2007 10:07 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Color Printers for WP70

I hear you about operators and printers...I have one plant where they take

screenshots of faceplate screens and file them for records.

We have an HP "Busine$$ Deskjet" 3000 on one of our systems now.  It
worked on our AW70 when it ran NT.  Unfortunately, I really can't
recommend this printer, based on my sample.  It's fast, but has all kinds
of quirky problems.  It complains about printheads and cartridges
constantly, and will not print, even in black and white, when there is a
problem with one of the color cartridges.  It also has a bad paper sensor
in the tray, and when it's not crying about the cartridges, it complains
about "incorrect paper size".  I pull the tray out, shake it to push the
paper toward the feed end, put it back in, and it works for a little
while; sort of like putting the pacifier back in the baby's mouth.

I think we got this POS from Foxboro (not blaming Foxboro here, maybe ours

is a lemon), and I'm about ready to MEP it.  I'd get a color laser, but we

don't have the space for it right now.  In fact, mostly what we do now is
network everything and piggyback onto what the IT department gives us
(huge multifunction color scanning faxing rain-forest-decimating
light-dimming baby mulchers - but they sure are fast).

I guess my other question is, are you now having trouble finding NT
drivers for printers you are interested in?  I guess I haven't looked
recently, but most of the HPs still had NT drivers last time I did.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

David Johnson <drjohn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/17/2007 09:07 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Color Printers for WP70

Yeah well, the operators (you know them) want to be able to print
things out and make notes on it, and give it to the next shift, or to
"prove" that it was running right, or whatever.  I would just put
hypersnap on there and be done with it, but that's not the way that
they want it.  So I'm still looking for a good reliable color printer
that can be hooked to a WP70 (NT) workstation.

In regard to the last post about the system monitor message when CPs
go from FT to Single.  I have complained about this in the past in
user group meetings, perhaps I should have put more dots on it.  To
Sysmon, a line printer running out of paper has the same level of
urgency as a CP pair becoming unmarried (is that the same as
divorced?).   Never seemed right to me.

Regards,
David