Re: [foxboro] Linux Thin Client as G Box Display

  • From: John.Spigel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:27:11 -0500

Re:[foxboro] Linux Thin Client as G Box Display

We are running Display Manager currently, Foxview may be months or a year
away, We are replacing WP30's which Foxboro recently decided not to support
with the upgrade to 7.1.1.  The linux thin clients boot from compact flash
cards eliminating hard drives.  The cost is as little as $200 new. Each
display connection executes a new go_dm with blink_task forced on for each
new session. We have tried numerous variations of go_dm and color pallettes
with no success on the AW51G box, but good results on the AW51C box.
Unfortunately we do not have the source code for blink_task which would
probably answer some questions.  I think the color pallettes originally
used are ANSI colors which support the blinking attribute which blink_task
uses to sync the blink. How it writes to the color pallette is unkown.  We
did disable blink_task and the exceed display does stop blinking.  I know
there must be a way to do it in linux but don't understand how pallette
color aliases need to be configured. The primary problem is just getting
the colors to work from the G-box.  I can live without the blinking.

John Spigel
Clariant Corporation
****************
Re: [foxboro] Linux Thin Client as G Box Display
From: "John Metsker" <John.Metsker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:40:22 -0600
John,

Foxview or DM running on your 7.1.1 G Box?

My understanding is that the blinking colors used in the DM palette rely
on some brut force mechanisms to substitute entries in the X color
palette.  This is the purpose of the blink task client.  (Are you
running a blink task for each remote X device?) =20

Foxview, due to the more modern underpinnings of the SL application,
handle blinking colors with the X app itself.

John Metsker
General Mills, Inc=20

*******************
Re: [foxboro] Linux Thin Client as G Box Display
From: "Doucet, Terrence" <tdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:02:31 -0500
"Move over to a G box"

Does this mean you will take a stand-alone Foxboro AW or WP 51G and run =
remote display manager on it connected to the node station by thin net?

On node, host Display Manager, second port ------- thin net ----- AW51G =
or WP51G

If yes, then you can run into conflict with the blink_task program that =
runs in your stand alone AW51G. Since the AW51G already has a blink_task =
you should disable the remote display connection from starting a second =
blink_task.  Usually you can comment out the lines in your startup =
script (copy of /opt/ia/.profile) in the host Foxboro station where the =
Display Manager resides.

Terry

**************
Linux Thin Client as G Box Display

Hello all knowing list members,
I have been investigating using the latest linux thin clients in X as DM
HMI displays with telnet. . We are 95% successful in getting the
touchscreens,colors and fonts with NFS working on 6.1.1. What does not
work
is blinking colors. All else looks well. I have all but given up on the
blinking. The plan is to move these over to a G box running 7.1.1.  On
the
G box the fonts will work, but no progress on the colors. I cannot
imagine
what would be different. The color pallette has been brought over, but
still no success.  Exceed works well on both systems.  I know there has
been success in varying degrees on the older systems with versions on
linux
What could be different on the G box? The thin clients should be a
benefit
based on cost,, simple setup and maintenance.  We are not winning on the
simple part.

John Spigel
Clariant Coporation