Re: [foxboro] Backup Stragady - Win Servers

  • From: "Badura, Tom" <tbadura@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:17:33 -0500

It sounds like BSER to backup server on 2nd Ethernet is the way to go.
However, at this point we have a very small system (3 P92 WPs and 1 P91
Server), and do not have BSER or a backup server.  We currently use the
standard Windows Backup utility to a SCSI 8mm AIT tape drive connected
to our P91 as described in B0700BX - P91 Server 2003 System
Administration and B0400HE_D - Windows XP System Administration Guides.
We backup both the C: and D: partitions and System State of all 4
machines on a periodic bases.  We also make independent backups of all
our application files -  IACC Database, FoxDraw, Env, Historian
Configuration, etc. on a more frequent basis or anytime there has been a
significant change.  There is not much that changes on the system, and
we do not have any mandated process data archiving requires at this
time.  Our Invensys Service Engineer has told us we would have what we
need to rebuild and get any of the stations back up and running in
production.

Does any one of the more knowledgeable and experienced people on the
list see any problems or potential gotchas to this strategy?

Thank you,

Tom Badura
Plastics Engineering Company
tbadura@xxxxxxxxxx