Re: [foxboro] Backup Stragady - Win Servers

  • From: "Rick Mol" <Rick.Mol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:50:37 -0500

Brian,

Second using the BESR.  It's been blessed by Invensys and is less scary for
a customer to install on a node.

The setup I've had the best results with is BESR with BESR
Manager,(additional package), on a separate server. That way, the backup
schedule can be managed from one location.

The servers are backup up daily, the workstations, monthly or quarterly as
desired.

The backup rotation typically used in the IT world is a standard GFS,
Grandfather,Father,Son.  The Son is daily, with one graduating to Father
status weekly.  The Father is weekly with one graduating to Grandfather
status monthly.  The Grandfather is moved to off site.  Off site can be
another server is a remote location.  Keep as many monthly backups as
desired.

Speaking from experience,(bad), disk space is way cheaper than losing data,
or explaining why data isn't there on a restore.

Hope this helps.  Contact if you have any questions.

Regards,

Rick Mol
Coyote Technologies
Rick.Mol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx