Re: [foxboro] Backup Stragady - Win Servers

  • From: <Jack.Easley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:33:45 -0500

We used Symantec Backup Exec and USB drives for backups for several
years.

We then bit the bullet and established an isolated 2nd Ethernet network
(please don't tie this to your plant/corporate intranet, or you'll be
sorry) on all of our Foxboro boxes to automate weekly backups (last 4
retained) to a Lacie 5TB NAS file storage server (probably under $1K now
and you may not need a NAS this large). Works great, no heartache! You
can set this entirely up in Symantec Backup Exec configuration (just add
network and NAS). Symantec Backup configuration even allows you to
configure to run save-alls to hard-drive first (or any program you want)
before backup (or after backup). Occasionally, an AW will fail to backup
with a Symantec snapshot error, but this is a plus as it is early
warning as to a real hard-drive problem on the AW, usually fixed by a
reboot (I do miss fsck!), although chkdsk could be necessary if it
really is a bad block on the hard-drive.

You could also use multiple NAS boxes configured with the same IP
address and physically rotate them monthly to a different area, should
you want to save hard-drive backups for a longer period in a safer area.

I know other users have been doing this for years longer than us and
love it. Symantec restores work great, but you must have the same (or
same type-of) hard-ware to restore to, so spares of all hardware
versions are important. Also, I believe NIC swapping (or regedits) are
also still required, if changing hardware (most of my experience has
been same box restores). THANK GOD THE ERA OF TAPE BACKUPS IS BEHIND US!

Jack Easley
Sr. I&C Technician
Luminant Power, Martin Lake Plant
Phone 903.836.6273