RE: RPC over HTTPS and Outlook 2003

  • From: "Mustafa Cicek" <mbcicek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:50:21 -0600

Hi Raj,

To your previous question:
No, I cannot any certificate related information message, if I try to
create an RPC over HTTP profile. Outlook tries to connect over RPC port
(NOT through RPC over HTTP) to connect to Exchange.

To your last message:
Is it really true that RPC over HTTP profile can only be created?

I'm disagree with you that this is a security advantage. In this case, the
person who works in home office or in another company and wants to have a
RPC over HTTP profile, must bring his/her computer to my LAN to have an
RPC over HTTP profile!!! What a wonderful design of Microsoft!!!
That is really unbelievable.
I think, Steve has right that RPC over HTTP needs still port 135 to
connect Exchange.  If yes, this profile should be called RPC over
H(alf)TTP.

I didn't read in any Microsoft documents about it. It seems that Microsoft
doesn't publish this "open secret"?! Or dou you know any official
Microsoft document about it?

Best Regards
Mustafa