RE: RPC over HTTPS and Outlook 2003

  • From: "Mustafa Cicek" <mbcicek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:03:45 -0600

Hi all!

First off all I have checked all certificate configuration, etc.. THere is
NO problem with certificates!

You know, I have the following network for my test lab:

INTERNET <> NETSCREEEN FIREWALL 1 <> ISA Server 2004 <> NETSCREEN FIREWALL 2 <>
INTERNAL NETWORK with Exchange front-end + Exchange back-end and Global
Catalog server.

My steps were:
1) I installed exchange front-end as RPC-proxy
2) All mailboxes and public folders are on exchange back-end
3) I installed an own Certificate Authority on Global Catalog server (also
Domain Controller). It is Enterpreise Root Certificate Authority.
4) I created a certificate for the web site on front-end becauese of OWA
and RPC over HTTPS. The common name on certificate is
owa.intra.exchtest.net.
5) I copied the same certificate to ISA server and exported also private
key.
6) On ISA server I created publishing for OWA and RPC over HTTPS.
7) I installed CA certificate and and owa.intra.exchtest.net certificate
on the client computers which will access Exchange services.
8) The clients are located in Internet, not in LAN!
9) I have also internal clients in lab.
10) I configured front-end (not back-end) for RPC over HTTPS and also for
OWA.
11) NETSCREEN FIREWALL 2 has NAT for Exchange front-end. Exchange
front-end has the NAT IP address: 213.183.4.116.
12) I configured the HOSTS file on the ISA server that makes mapping on
the NAT IP address of front-end:
213.183.4.116     owa.intra.exchtest.net
13) The external DNS has the name record owa.intra.exchtest.net that
points the external IP address of ISA server: 213.183.4.125.

Tests:
I have tested until now only two client access: Outlook Web Access (OWA)
and RPC over HTTPS.
1) I tried on external and internal clients OWA to connect Exchange: THey
are SUCCESSFULL. No certificate Warning, nor error!
2) I tried on internal clients RPC over HTTPS to connect Exchange: It is
SUCCESSFULL.
3) I tried on external clients RPC over HTTPS to connect Exchange: It is
NOT successfull.

My configuration for RPC over HTTPS on client:
1) On client computer I typed as Exchange Server owa.intra.exchtest.net.
2) On client computer, in proxy field I have typed also
owa.intra.exchtest.net. Also under msstd I have written
owa.intra.exchtest.net.

Protocols:
If I try on external client computer RPC over HTTPS to connect Exchange, I
cannot connect to Exchange server. I have listed below the ISA server
protocol for this connection:

https..Initiated Connection.. (Here is standard rule applied!!! Why? I
have Publishing for RPC over HTTPS)
https..Denied ((Here is standard rule applied!!! Why? I have Publishing
for RPC over HTTPS)
Connection..RPC_OUT_DATA..http://owa.intra.exchtest.net:443/rpc/rpcproxy.dll?owa.intra.exchtest.net:[593
or 6001-6004 depending on attempt]
https..Deneid (Here is standard rule applied!!! Why? I have Publishing for
RPC over HTTPS)
Attempt..RPC_IN_DATA..http://owa.intra.exchtest.net:443/rpc/rpcproxy.dll?owa.intra.exchtest.net:[593
or 6001-6004 depending on attempt]

It is perhaps interesting to know:
EXCHBE: Exchange back-end.
W3KDC: Global Catalog/Domain Controller.
On Exchange front-end I looked at the ValidPorts in registry:
exchbe.intra.exchtest.net:6001-6002;EXCHBE:6004;exchbe.intra.exchtest.net:6004;

Then I added the following ports to ValidPorts, but I don't know if I need
them really?!:
EXCHBE:593;exchbe.intra.exchtest.net:593;W3KDC:6004;w3kdc.intra.exchtest.net:6004;

If I stop and start the the Exchange services on front-end, the modified
ports (ValidPorts) are overwritten with the default ValidPorts above.

Now , here are the questions for experts:
1) Why doesn't apply ISA the Publishing rule? Why does standard rule deny
the connection?
2) Is the name of server where is typed on the field of Exchange Server
(on client computer) correct? Must this name be back-end or frond-end
server?
3) Why are modified ValidPorts overwritten? Do I need ports 593 under
ValidPorts?
4) Is my entry in the HOSTS file on ISA correct?

I hope the problem is clearer now.
I HOPE also soulution tipps!!!!

Best Regards
Mustafa