RE: ESEUTIL

  • From: "Mark Dewell" <M.Dewell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:49:54 +0100

> Anyone know how fast ESEUTIL /d operates at?
>
> Reading various sources on the Internet, some say 2GB / Hour
> and some others up
> +to 10GB / Hour, now these rates make a big differance!!
>
> We are running quite a hefty box, 2x550 mhz PII, 512mb RAM,
> U/W RAID Card, but
> +the ISPRIV we have inherited is currently @ 80GB, and the
> other issue is as
> +usual there are no resources to test the speed or how much
> space will actually
> +be reclaimed by the process.

The Event Log records the results of the overnight defragmentation (which is
part of the built in overnight maintenance) and this includes a figure for
how much free space is in the store. Presumably this is how much eseutil /d
would shrink the file(s) on disk by.

I have found that even though the .edb may not shrink by much, the .stm file
usually shrinks quite dramatically.

---<  Mark Dewell, University of East London, Dagenham, Essex, UK  >---
---<  Email        : M.Dewell@xxxxxxxxx                            >---
---<  URL          : http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/1278               >---

< Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty (Anne Herbert) >