[etni] Fw: re: present Etni poll results

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:02:19 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Esther Revivo" <estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: present Etni poll results

Adele, if I figured out the yearly grades the way the NBA suggests, the
Ministry would cancel the magen of ALL my seniors this year in
particular!!They are extremely studious, do EVERY task dilligently; read ;
did gorgeous projects; etc. But, their three matkonot grades on E were
horrendous!!!!!! Had I known that E would be as easy as it was this year, I
WOULD have been able to follow the NBA rubrics. However, in 90% of the exams in the past, there would have been a HUGE difference between their true test
score and what I SHOULD have given them according to the NBA. The school
would have been punished with the magenim being cancelled.
P.S. Yes, I know that many pupils do return as "externis" but many of them
have shelled out thousands of shekels at Berlitz; Wallstreet; etc. ad
nauseum. Here in a development town like Netivot and nearby Ofakim and
Sederot, few have ready cash for such a luxury.
Esther Revivo

Adele wrote:
There is no need to do away with yearly grades - the option already exists.
It's called: externi. The testees (after they have left school) come in, sit down, take the test - what they get, they get. But _I_ thought our aims were to be EDUCATORS. If you didn't have the yearlygrade, why would they bother doing the classwork? Extensive reading would be"history". You could forget about teaching literature, because why should
they do the work? In fact, all too many teachers out there would just pass
literature over, since, it's not mandatory for the yearly grade (as it IS I
have heard of many schools that turn a blind eye and do not check if
literature or extensive reading is being done, and fabricate their grades).
Doing away with yearly grades would serve to turn us into bagrut factories.
Is THAT what we want? _I_ certainly do NOT! And why is it such a problem to
make up the yearly grade, anyway? All you need to do is be organized enough
to save your grades. The Three Year Follow Up page is very helpful with
this:
http://www.mchp.gov.il/Site/Supervision/REED/Bagrut+Forms/Working+out+your+yearly+grades/Three+year+follow+up.htm
The English coordinator needs to be organized enough to get the team
together on deciding how the yearly grades are given for your school, on thedifferent levels
http://www.mchp.gov.il/Site/Supervision/REED/Bagrut+Forms/Working+out+your+yearly+grades/school+plan+modular.htm
(that can be done ONCE if it is done
properly) and then everybody works accordingly. Excel makes the calculations
a piece of cake (this from someone who  is dyscalculic).
Well, that's MY 2 cents on this issue. Sure - I would love to have less
administrative work to do, but the whole bagrut system (which we did NOT
have in New York) and the universities demand it - therefore, there is not
really much we (or our complaining) will be able to change on this issue -
so we may as well make the best of it.

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm