[etni] Fw: literature lesson for WEAK 3 point class

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:38:19 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "sarag" <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: literature lesson for WEAK 3 point class

This is based on something I heard at some hishtalmut, but I can't remember where or by whom.
In any case, thank you!!

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening".

I printed a picture from Gene's wonderful illustrated Frost site
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/1487/index.html
and put it on the board.
We brainstormed words about the picture -
 cold, winter, snow, trees (and woods) and so on.

Then I passed out the poem.

1. Read it aloud - so they heard the rhythm, the wind, the "s" sounds etc.

2. read each stanza again - and understood it. (They didn't know every word, but did understand the idea.)

3. assignment - Write sentences about the picture / poem. The really weak ones wrote "Snow is cold." etc. The stronger ones got to things like "The snow is cold in winter, I saw it in the dark woods."

I also told them of seeing Frost on TV, reading one of his poems at Kennedy's inauguration. (In Massachusetts there was a snow storm, so no school that day.) (I was in the 5th grade, but I didn't tell the kids that...) I think one of the important things I achieved here was that they studied a poem by Frost, exactly like all the stronger classes.

btw - at http://www.salon.com/audio/2000/10/05/frost/ you can hear Frost reading this poem.)

sara g

sara g in israel
sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and also saragabai@xxxxxxxxx
Visit us at The E Zone
     http://c3.ort.org.il/ganyavneenglish

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm