[elky] Re: today (ok, yesterday's stuff)

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 06:55:29 EDT

Nice size yard. What are the dimensions?

Smoky Mt. Frank

In a message dated 8/4/2010 11:17:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
elcam84@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Well many of the stumps  are already several years old and if I cut them
off at ground level they would  be there many more years. There isn't enough
moisture in the soil for stump  remover bugs to eat away at it. And the more
you leave in the ground the more  likely it is to be used by termites or
carpenter ants.

I have 5 trees to cut down and  I will keep for firewood but the stack will
be as far from the house and shop  as possible and the soil under and
around it liberally treated with chemicals  to kill termites and carpenter ants.

Here is a link to the page with  pics. It will be added to every so often.
_http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/elcam84/new%20house/_
(http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/elcam84/new%20house/)

Robert  Adams

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Mary McCarthy <_printces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx) >  wrote:

glad to hear you are getting those stumps down. They  are a big pain.  Why
are you trying to go so deep on them, though?  We cut them off below the
surface, sprinkle with stump disolver and  cover them up.  Problem solved.
sorry, no before or after pics.  Spent today on the last stump and The Pile By
the Driveway is now  neatly cut for firewood and stacked.  it's been there a
couple  years.

Weather has been cloudy, misty mornings but warm,  sunny afternoons.  About
as good as it gets.

Jake gets his  staples taken out Friday and Ellie no longer poops in the
house.  Life  is good.

mary

Yeah but the humidity has been pretty low lately(below %50 usually).  The
104* stuff is getting old though. I got one stump out last  night. That's one
out of 14 not including the 5 trees I still need to cut  down.

Luckily there is no clay or rock here so digging in a  pleasure. Exactly
the opposite of what I'm used to. Course digging in sand  isn't the easiest
either cause for every foot you go down you have to go  over 2' or more. The
sand has a tiny bit of moisture when you get a foot  down. I can take a flat
nosed shovel and easily push it all the way in the  ground around the stump
to start digging it out.  I just dig out what  I can then cut roots then dig
and cut more. I want as much out as I can  get. Sawsall does some cutting
but I'm using the cheapie poulan chainsaw  to do most of the cutting. Cuts
great considering how much sand it has  chewed up. The chains are cheaper than
sawsall blades.

Working on getting before pics taken  and in progress and after pics. Gotta
get them on the computer from the  phone tonight. Well headed back out to
work more on stump #2. It's only  102* here and no breeze but light  shade.

Rules: Please play nicely  with others.

-List members page (text & pic links):
_http://www.myelcamino.net/eclist.htm_
(http://www.myelcamino.net/eclist.htm)