[elky] Re: Wed through Sunday with Mom

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:53:09 -0700

sorry to hear Mom is having a tough time. We went through that with Dan's father but he handled it without any difficulty. Hopefully, she'll bounce right back soon. Meanwhile, I'll worry, so you don't have to.

bummer she missed the helicopter ride.

As far as home help, Medicare should spring for a lot of that, if not all. Contact the Visiting Nurse Service in her area and they will help. They can put her together with the services she needs. I'm surprised the hospital didn't arrange for the Visiting Nurse to drop by and check on her. They are really terrific.

mary

I went to Waterloo, IA to be with Mom for her surgery on the Corroded artery Wednesday afternoon. Her surgery was about noon Thursday.

Mom came home for a few hours on Friday after her surgery, only to head back to Allen in Waterloo, because she was fading very fast, and we knew something was wrong (She shouldn't have been discharged IMHO). They got her back to the hospital, and knew they were over their heads with it, so they sent her to Iowa City right away.

Mom was surprised to find out where she was when she woke up, and that she had gotten a helicopter ride from Waterloo. Steady improvement all day Saturday. I can't say enough about how great this hospital is. (Iowa City University Hospital) MRI shows only mini strokes from an earlier time. They don't think from this event. With her corroded blockage at 95%, the new found blood rushing in to her brain was temporarily profuse, and it created a lot of pressure that her brain was just not used to. The doctor said it like this .... If you jog the same path all the time, and you come to a fountain for a drink, and it just barely bubbles up, you know you have to get real close to it. One day, someone fixes it, but doesn't tell you, you go for a drink and get sprayed all over. That's what happened to her brain for a short time, and caused trouble. Again, she shouldn't have been at home, in my opinion, when this happened.

Mom was much better Saturday evening. Sitting up, Getting herself in position in bed. Conversation in general was much improved. She was able to get herself to the bathroom with the walker quite easily. They will be evaluating her with the Physical Therapists tomorrow to see if she is able to go home, but that will probably be Monday I left for for Saint Charles on Sunday afternoon, once I knew she was stable. Brother Dave was able to take her back up to Waterloo, and has taken some time off. Big thanks there.

So I have been out of the loop. Great pics Ray. I am back to work though Thursday and have a get away in the city planned with Cindy for 4 days, but we'll see what plays out. I am just hoping Mom stabilizes at home. Brother Dave is a Doctor of Pharmacy, and she could not be in better hands. The biggest problem is that Mom is pretty much the care giver for Dick, who is diabetic, and now legally blind. So the two of them may be forced to leave home without having home health care of some kind. Jim Dos and I tried to make connections, but never met in person. We talked a few times though. Thanks for the support Jim & Barb.

Sorry for all the Drama, but I know most on the list have helped with prayer in the past, and I thank you all for that. Plus ..... we need it!
Thanks,
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net <http://www.myelcamino.net/>