[elky] Wed through Sunday with Mom

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 04:47:41 -0500

I went to Waterloo, IA to be with Mom for her surgery on the Corroded artery
Wednesday afternoon. Her surgery was about noon Thursday.

Mom came home for a few hours on Friday after her surgery, only to head back
to Allen in Waterloo, because she was fading very fast, and we knew
something was wrong (She shouldn't have been discharged IMHO). They got her
back to the hospital, and knew they were over their heads with it, so they
sent her to Iowa City right away.

Mom was surprised to find out where she was when she woke up, and that she
had gotten a helicopter ride from Waterloo. Steady improvement all day
Saturday. I can't say enough about how great this hospital is. (Iowa City
University Hospital) MRI shows only mini strokes from an earlier time. They
don't think from this event. With her corroded blockage at 95%, the new
found blood rushing in to her brain was temporarily profuse, and it created
a lot of pressure that her brain was just not used to. The doctor said it
like this .... If you jog the same path all the time, and you come to a
fountain for a drink, and it just barely bubbles up, you know you have to
get real close to it. One day, someone fixes it, but doesn't tell you, you
go for a drink and get sprayed all over.  That's what happened to her brain
for a short time, and caused trouble. Again, she shouldn't have been at
home, in my opinion, when this happened.

Mom was much better Saturday evening. Sitting up, Getting herself in
position in bed. Conversation in general was much improved. She was able to
get herself to the bathroom with the walker quite easily. They will be
evaluating her with the Physical Therapists tomorrow to see if she is able
to go home, but that will probably be Monday  I left for for Saint Charles
on Sunday afternoon, once I knew she was stable. Brother Dave was able to
take her back up to Waterloo, and has taken some time off. Big thanks there.

So I have been out of the loop. Great pics Ray. I am back to work though
Thursday and have a get away in the city planned with Cindy for 4 days, but
we'll see what plays out. I am just hoping Mom stabilizes at home. Brother
Dave is a Doctor of Pharmacy, and she could not be in better hands. The
biggest problem is that Mom is pretty much the care giver for Dick, who is
diabetic, and now legally blind. So the two of them may be forced to leave
home without having home health care of some kind. Jim Dos and I tried to
make connections, but never met in person. We talked a few times though.
Thanks for the support Jim & Barb.

Sorry for all the Drama, but I know most on the list have helped with prayer
in the past, and I thank you all for that. Plus ..... we need it!
Thanks,
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net