[elky] Re: Camaro (was: Rat Fink Reunion photos)

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:18:49 -0600

Yes, I bought a car without a title.  Yes, I know it's dumb.  But I didn't realize there was no title until the guy delivered the car (he trailered it from Lyman, Wyoming.)  It's a 89 (or 88...that's somewhat in question) RS, V6 with 5-speed...just what I'd been looking for to use as a backup car in case the Burb dies again and to use as a grocery getter.

The ad stated (and the seller told me) that it had 90k miles on it.  I ran a CarFax afterward and found out that it has 190k.  It was also on 5 cylinders when I got it.  I fixed that with new plugs and wires.  I need to replace the torque arm bushing (I already have the new one) and do a coupla other things, but it's not a bad car.

The front end is a little beat up, but I bought it as a beater and not a beauty queen.

So as soon as possible, I'll do my best to get it registered.  We'll see what happens.  I still have the federal offense card to play if the seller keeps jerkin me around.

On 6/6/2011 4:43 AM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx wrote:
Sheriff's title? WTF

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 6/5/2011 10:43:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I got a reply from the seller.  He's sending his bill of sale and application for Wyoming sheriff's title.

I've already had the VIN inspected by a local cop.  That part's done.  Part of that is running the VIN to check for a stolen car.  It's not on any stolen list.

I'll see what the Utah DMV makes of the bill of sale and an explanation of the circumstances.  I've already been denied once.  I'll just wait to see if I get the bill of sale and other documents.  I'll keep ya posted.

On 6/5/2011 8:09 PM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
uh, he may not have EVER had a title.  It happens here in WA because of our lackadaisical paperwork requirements.

Can't you just apply for a lost title?  We had to do that when PNC BANK (I'll name names) lost the title to our first Grand Cherokee.  (The icing on the cake was because they no longer owned it, they couldn't get a title for it.)  We had to find some secret serial numbers on the frame, make a rubbing or two and send them to NJ where it was purchased.  They sent a title.

Have you contacted the state police (or would that be bad idea?) and asked them to run a VIN check?  At least you'll know it's not a very special kind of hot car.

weekend sounds like it was great, I'll go look at the pics.

Mary
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/cruisin2011/20110603/Welcome.html

I spent Friday at Ed Roth's widow's place, besides her home, there's a museum and small convention center.  It gets better every year.  There were plenty of stripers (no, not the kind that take their clothes off...they're strippers <G>) and airbrush artists and rods, kustoms, old friends, new friends and a whole lot more.

Saturday was "Rat Fink's Car Show" and I'm still workin on the photos from that one...and others.

I also got a couple more circuits wired up in the race car.  It's almost ready for a BFT: Blinding Flash Test.

The Burb ran perfectly there and back.  The electric fans are working great.  Now...if I can only get a title for that Camaro...  I spoke to the US Attorney for this area and he confirmed what I already knew: misrepresentation of items for sale when interstate commerce is involved is a federal offense.  He suggested that if I don't get any satisfaction from the seller I otta contact the FBI and file criminal charges against him, his wife and his father (who's the chief of police in Lyman, Wyoming, where the car and seller were located.)  I've had my phone calls and emails ignored and I'm gonna try one more time to get in touch with him.  If he stonewalls that, I'll notify him that I'm droppin a dime on him with the FBI.  I've had enough of a runaround.