[elky] Re: Wed through Sunday with Mom

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 06:49:13 -0400 (EDT)

+++++~~~~~~ for Mom
Scary for sure. Prayers.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 6/6/2011 5:48:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I went  to Waterloo, IA to be with Mom for her surgery on the Corroded
artery  Wednesday afternoon. Her surgery was about noon Thursday.

Mom came  home for a few hours on Friday after her surgery, only to head
back to Allen  in Waterloo, because she was fading very fast, and we knew
something was wrong  (She shouldn't have been discharged IMHO). They got her
back to the hospital,  and knew they were over their heads with it, so they
sent her to Iowa City  right away.

Mom was surprised to find out where she was when she woke  up, and that she
had gotten a helicopter ride from Waterloo. Steady  improvement all day
Saturday. I can't say enough about how great this hospital  is. (Iowa City
University Hospital) MRI shows only mini strokes from an  earlier time. They
don't think from this event. With her corroded blockage at  95%, the new found
blood rushing in to her brain was temporarily profuse, and  it created a lot
of pressure that her brain was just not used to. The doctor  said it like
this .... If you jog the same path all the time, and you come to  a fountain
for a drink, and it just barely bubbles up, you know you have to  get real
close to it. One day, someone fixes it, but doesn't tell you, you go  for a
drink and get sprayed all over.  That's what happened to her brain  for a
short time, and caused trouble. Again, she shouldn't have been at home,  in my
opinion, when this happened.

Mom was much better Saturday  evening. Sitting up, Getting herself in
position in bed. Conversation in  general was much improved. She was able to
get
herself to the bathroom with  the walker quite easily. They will be
evaluating her with the Physical  Therapists tomorrow to see if she is able to
go
home, but that will probably  be Monday  I left for for Saint Charles on
Sunday afternoon, once I knew  she was stable. Brother Dave was able to take
her
back up to Waterloo, and has  taken some time off. Big thanks there.

So I have been out of the loop.  Great pics Ray. I am back to work though
Thursday and have a get away in the  city planned with Cindy for 4 days, but
we'll see what plays out. I am just  hoping Mom stabilizes at home. Brother
Dave is a Doctor of Pharmacy, and she  could not be in better hands. The
biggest problem is that Mom is pretty much  the care giver for Dick, who is
diabetic, and now legally blind. So the two of  them may be forced to leave
home without having home health care of some kind.  Jim Dos and I tried to make
connections, but never met in person. We talked a  few times though. Thanks
for the support Jim & Barb.

Sorry for all  the Drama, but I know most on the list have helped with
prayer in the past,  and I thank you all for that. Plus ..... we need  it!
Thanks,
1984 El  Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 _http://www.myelcamino.net_ (http://www.myelcamino.net/)