[elky] Re: Now I know why...

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 08:28:02 -0500

                 Yeah those only worked on very low powered engines hence
why they haven't been used for quite a while till Ford and a few others
tried it again and renamed them CVT transmissions. If they made an access
cover so you could easily get to the belt and pulleys so you could replace
them it wouldn't be so bad. The problem that the old CVTs had and the new
ones to a lesser extent was that they didn't gear down enough when coming
to a stop. As you started moving again it was sluggish until the car had
moved enough for the cones to move. Also reverse was a pain to add to them
due to needing an idler.
               The go cart ones were called comet drives and were almost
exactly the same thing and Comet still makes them today.

                   Robert Adams