[elky] Re: Monte Carlo update

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:17:55 -0400

Ray, this is going to be fun.  I sent the Monte Carlo's specs to John,
the owner of AED, asking his recommendation for a carb.  John is a
great guy, I wish all my suppliers were like AED.

This was his response:

"I looked at the link & he's done a good job documenting the project. For a
land speed car the camshaft is painfully small? With this combination of 400
ci's, fairly small head, small intake & short camshaft I think the rpm
range will be lower. I would think actual max power will be around 5500 rpm
or so. Given this setup I would use a 950HO (actual airflow 820 cfm. With
the smaller head & camshaft you don't want to be too small in the carb
department especially since we're just concerned with top end power. A
camshaft change & intake manifold change would help this program immensely
Chris!"

This is the 950HO (actual airflow 820 cfm):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-950ho-race-carb.html

Other carb choices:
750HO (actual airflow 760 cfm, has milled choke):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-750ho-carburetor.html

750HP-HO (actual airflow 770 cfm):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-750hp-ho-carburetor.html

850HO (actual airflow 850 cfm, has milled choke):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-850ho-carburetor.html

To confirm, the 850HO outflows the 950HO, this is because the
contoured "HP" main body in the 950HO is the same one in a 750HP-HO,
the 950HO just has a larger baseplate.  The 850HO has a specific
(larger) main body (and milled choke).

I can also have an Edelbrock carb drop shipped, if you decide you'd
rather work with a carb you are more familiar with.  A double pumper
would be my choice for a race  car.  We'll also need to select a fuel
line, since your Demon line has different fittings compared to the
standard 7/8-20 on dual inlet carbs.

Once great source of information is the AED tuning tips page:
http://www.aedperformance.com/Tuning%20Tips.htm  One vital piece of
information is timing: your MSD Pro Billet distributor needs the black
bushing to limit the mechanical advance to 18 degrees, and you want a
lot of initial advance, think 15-18 initial for 33 to 36 total.  (I
just did this in my 406, and removed the vacuum advance = best change
I've made, these engines do not need a lot of timing).

Lots of info, lets see if we can decide which parts you want to go
with and I'll get them shipped tomorrow.  I have not bought a vinyl
cutting machine yet, so I do not have signage.