[elky] Monte Carlo update

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:01:45 -0600

This one ain't so good. The fuel pressure regulator leaks like a sieve. So I took it out of the equation completely. Now, although I have gas at the input to the carb, none is gettin thru. I dunno if it's needle and seat problems, float levels or what, but the bottom line is that I just don't know enough about that type of carburetor to be effective in making it run well. The last time I ran it, I had it on my Coyote Nova...and after putting a regulator on that, it ran pretty well. But that was then and...you know the rest.

So. I looked at Summit's web site and they sell a 1407 carb (750 cfm, manual choke) for $290 and a 9907 (remanufactured 750 cfm, manual choke) for $260. I've put so much money into the car (and the Camaro and the Burb) lately that I might be able to buy the reman carb...if I don't eat this month. And I've gotta spend a week on the salt. Maybe I'll sell a buncha prints/photo CDs there. I dunno. However...if anyone has a 750 Carterbrock carb they'd like to part with cheaply....well, it might make it much easier to get this thing in running shape so it'll be ready to go in September.

In other news, I changed the oil in the Camaro this morning (after running 30w with ATF it's real clean), worked on the lower valence of the nose piece (it was held on by 2 bolts, 1 on each side...the 7 locations in between had no bolts at all) and then this afternoon I tried to find the squeak/rattle in the right rear that was driving me insane every time I drove it. After takin a buncha stuff apart, I found....a space-saver spare tire (I can't tell ya how hard I looked to find the ones that are on the race car) and it was loose, as was the folding lug wrench/jack handle. I took all of that out and the noise all went away. Now I just gotta put everything back together. Ohh...the thing drives very well, temp stays at 180-190 and it's even beginning to drive/behave like a real, useable car.

There's one good piece of news. When I'd prime the Monte Carlo's carb with some gas down its throat, it'd fire up for a second and sounded like a very healthy motor. That's encouraging, if nothing else. I'm takin the rest of the day off cuz I'm still hurtin and just plain wore out. I might go out later and put the Camaro back together.