[elky] Re: Monte Carlo update

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:56:02 -0600

Chris, I can't begin to tell you how much this means to me.  I've been thinking about it ever since and...well, thank you seems so woefully inadequate, but I think this may have made the difference between getting to race the car on the salt and letting it go for another year.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I think John's suggestions are good ones.  The 950HO seems good to me.  I like the description's "killer acceleration" part.  :)

Something to bear in mind...when I initially built this motor, it was more of a Pro-Touring concept rather than an LSR car.  If we're successful in getting into the 130 Club this year, it'll run next year in the 150 Club and then probably retired from LSR.  I don't know exactly what direction it'll take, cuz I have no idea what my living situation is gonna be.  I may be in Utah, I may be in Nevada, I may be homeless.  :)  I'm serious, though.  I have no idea what's gonna happen when I turn 65, which happens in a year from September.  I may go to the salt flats and never come back.  :)

Anyway, let's go with John's suggestion.  I'll also go with the bushing in the distributor.  Is that something you're planning to supply?  If so, yeah...let's do it.

I found a place online where I can have vinyl lettering made.  I'm gonna assume that my government won't let me down and my Social Security deposit will be available in the morning.  If so, I'll get the signage.  If not, I'm gonna have to fill up the Burb with gas, buy food with what's left in my checking account and just leave town.  :)  I'm going on faith that the deposit (SSD, not SSI) will be there.

Today, instead of jut sitting on my hands, I did my best to turn an old trailer that had been a woodpile and chopping block into a race car hauler:

I straightened as much as I could, removed as much of the rust and flaking paint and hit it with the remainder of the Zero-Rust rattle cans that I had on hand.  It's gonna get a coat of Rustoleum red (I've got more of that than anything else) and it'll be a redneck 20-footer.  But it otta get the car to and from the salt.  I actually used it last year to get the REAL redneck special trailer back when the bent axle caused a wheel bearing to collapse.  http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/sw/therest/20100820_0771r8_jpg.html

Now I've got a small side project (I found a case of lotion bottles my ex had ordered and stored in the garage...I have no idea what she was gonna do with 'em...but I'm gonna put 'em on craigslist to get rid of 'em) but before I do that, I have to get all the Epson printer stuff together and see if I can get out of the way, cuz apparently nobody wants to buy that junk.

Thanks again,

On 7/31/2011 7:17 PM, Chris Lindh wrote:
Ray, this is going to be fun.  I sent the Monte Carlo's specs to John,
the owner of AED, asking his recommendation for a carb.  John is a
great guy, I wish all my suppliers were like AED.

This was his response:

"I looked at the link & he's done a good job documenting the project. For a
land speed car the camshaft is painfully small? With this combination of 400
ci's, fairly small head, small intake & short camshaft I think the rpm
range will be lower. I would think actual max power will be around 5500 rpm
or so. Given this setup I would use a 950HO (actual airflow 820 cfm. With
the smaller head & camshaft you don't want to be too small in the carb
department especially since we're just concerned with top end power. A
camshaft change & intake manifold change would help this program immensely
Chris!"

This is the 950HO (actual airflow 820 cfm):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-950ho-race-carb.html

Other carb choices:
750HO (actual airflow 760 cfm, has milled choke):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-750ho-carburetor.html

750HP-HO (actual airflow 770 cfm):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-750hp-ho-carburetor.html

850HO (actual airflow 850 cfm, has milled choke):
https://partsforspeed.com/virtuemart/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetors/aed-850ho-carburetor.html

To confirm, the 850HO outflows the 950HO, this is because the
contoured "HP" main body in the 950HO is the same one in a 750HP-HO,
the 950HO just has a larger baseplate.  The 850HO has a specific
(larger) main body (and milled choke).

I can also have an Edelbrock carb drop shipped, if you decide you'd
rather work with a carb you are more familiar with.  A double pumper
would be my choice for a race  car.  We'll also need to select a fuel
line, since your Demon line has different fittings compared to the
standard 7/8-20 on dual inlet carbs.

Once great source of information is the AED tuning tips page:
http://www.aedperformance.com/Tuning%20Tips.htm  One vital piece of
information is timing: your MSD Pro Billet distributor needs the black
bushing to limit the mechanical advance to 18 degrees, and you want a
lot of initial advance, think 15-18 initial for 33 to 36 total.  (I
just did this in my 406, and removed the vacuum advance = best change
I've made, these engines do not need a lot of timing).

Lots of info, lets see if we can decide which parts you want to go
with and I'll get them shipped tomorrow.  I have not bought a vinyl
cutting machine yet, so I do not have signage.