[electrobooks] Re: reading books in order

  • From: "whizza" <whizza8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <electrobooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:25:47 +0100

The problem with that, David, is that some authors introduce characters in the first book in a series and develop them further in subsequent novels. Also, some authors refer to something that happened in a previous novel in the series, one that perhaps you haven't read, so it gives away some of the plot of that particular book. I agree that with some series, perhaps Jack Reacher is a reasonable example, you can get away with it but for some you just can't! I've just read three books by Alex Barentsen unknowingly in the wrong order and he did refer to previous incidents I knew nothing about. So maybe it just depends on the author as to whether you need to read a series chronologically or in any order you like.

Cheers,
Sandra.