[edi581] Clifford Stoll Article

  • From: Adduci1@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:07:30 EST

        As a second Grade teacher I couldn't imagine a classroom without a
computer.  My students light up when they enter the computer lab.  They change
the color of their font and they start screaming oohs and aahs.  I disagree
that stduents should wait until after age 12 to be introduced to technology.  I
think students at an early age should be introduced to technology so they don't
fall behind.  There needs to be a balance between instruction in the
classroom and the computer.  Studenhts need social interaction to grow as a
child.
Technology should be there as an extension after the group lesson with the
teacher and class.  Students should not be plopped down in front of the
computer
without an educational purpose.
       I agree that computers shouldn't replace books.  Students need to be
taught how to research first in the library, and then that the internet is a
second choice.
       Money should be definately spent on technology and the computer.  It
can be a useful tool in the classroom when used properly.
Theresa Adduci
Grade 2
Hilton Central Schools

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx