[edi581] Clifford Stoll Article

  • From: "Scott Stradley" <sstradley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:51:32 -0500

From: Scott Stradley
        EDI 581 SUNY Brockport

        In our most recent assignment we read an interview of Clifford Stoll on
his book High Tech Heretic....Unfortunately, this is merely an interview and we
do not get to see exactly what other
information might be published in his 240 book. In responding to his interview,
here is what I have to say:

        Clifford comments, "How long does it take to learn a word processing
program? A day." Sure Cliff. A student can learn how to click an icon and type
in Word, maybe learn how to change the font and
style in one day. But just like anything else, without practice, what is
learned is forgotten. Since Cliff uses a computer everyday he has obviously
forgotten that fact. He then states, "Surfing the
internet...It might take you an afternoon to learn how to do it." I agree. The
browsing software is simplistic. Like any other tool, there is a difference
between learning how to use it and how to
use it correctly. Students in my school are taught to be critical readers of
web sites. They are given lessons in knowing what to look for to ensure that a
site is credible, current, factual, etc.
They are also taught how to effectively search the internet so they don't
wander and waste time. These are skills that require practice over time to
refine and retain, not one afternoon.

        I really do not understand what Clifford is saying when he comments
that "Computing offers instant gratification", in terms of controlling
behavior. My kids will still mess around, talk, stand, walk
around, and throw things if I don't manage the class. Sorry, but I don't have
any experience that agrees with his statement implying that teachers use
technology (computers) like a TV, like a
babysitter.

        As far as fun and games go, there is no reason why some lessons can't
be fun. True, some assessments and work are just that, work. It's hard to take
a weekly math quiz and make it fun. However, some
lessons can be, such as introducing a new topic or conducting a review game to
help students learn. Cliff's interview does not say if he has any k-12
classroom experience. Perhaps a college astronomy
professor is not the best judge of k-12 learning. (Or fun for that matter).

        The Cliffster asserts that up to 12 years old, kids don't need computer
experience. Perhaps. Most of us (ahem - near 30 y/o and up) got along just fine
without computers in k-12. We be smart, and
stuff!  Cliff also states that graduating seniors need to know
"word-processing...spreadsheet...send and receive e-mail." Fine, I Agree.
However, there is something to be said about using a new tool
to create something. Let's look at a topical presentation on child abuse. A
student could write a plain paper on this topic. They could read it to the
class. If they are artistic they may make a
poster to present. With permission from a teacher they could create overheads
for their peers. But, most every child can make a slide show for this topic.
The students can quickly and easily type the
paper (content), and add poignant images and sounds. The student can present
this loudly and clearly on a computer, ensuring that those with visual/auditory
challenges can understand, as well as
those who are at a different thinking or developmental level. It is another
tool for the student and the teacher's toolbox. Is it a necessary tool? That
depends on the student. Many students work
doggedly as a result of having a computer. If that's the case, then it is most
certainly necessary.

        Cliff laments that sometimes a class is replaced and a room is
displaced for a computer lab. Also, time is an issue when incorporating
computers into curriculum. A teacher must be knowledgable and
savvy enough to fit computers into a lesson or curriculum without cutting out
too much time from anything else. Therein lies the beauty of the computer. When
used correctly it can be an efficiency
tool, such as with writing assignments.

        To an extent I agree with Cliffy's commentary on the virtual community
being bogus. I liken this to my occasional distaste for e-mail. You can't pick
up the nuances in a person's voice through
electronic words. You can't discern the warmth, sarcasm, questioning, tone or
inflection. There are many times when face-to-face or phone discussions are
better. For those who are unable to get out
into the community due to environmental or physical limitations, the virtual
community offers some sense of belonging, and that is a healthy thing.

Scott Stradley
Health/Computer Skills
Roth MS
sstradley@xxxxxxxxx