[edi581] Clifford Stoll Article

  • From: Wilson B <wlsonb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:52:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

     To the say the least, there are some surprising
statements in the Clifford Stoll article.  He argues,
for example, that computers do nothing to solve
problems with discipline, lack of attention, and poor
study habits.  I strongly believe that, if used
properly, much of the lack of motivation, focus, and
discipline I see in my students would be alleviated if
I could integrate technology into my curriculum.

     In the past, we have lacked access to computers
for both teachers and staff at Jefferson Middle
School.  Recently St. John Fisher donated $100,000 to
our school for the creation of a state of the art
computer lab.  Just last week, our school spent
another $15,000 and we finally have a network of 11
computers in the library.  While this is minuscule
compared to other districts? technology, it is a step
in the right direction.  The only way my students are
going to be able to compete with students from other
districts for jobs and college admission is if we
provide the resources they need to do so.

     Stoll argues that ?computing isn?t hard to
learn.?  He should see my students, who as seventh and
eighth graders are getting on a computer for the first
time.  Students who are learning how to maneuver a
mouse or double click to open a file, not to mention
actually using a piece of software.  Clearly, these
are skills Stoll takes for granted.  An eighth grader
who has never used a computer will not be able to
learn how to use one in an afternoon, as Stoll
suggests.

     I do agree with Stoll that there needs to be a
balance.  We cannot become obsessed with computers to
the extent that we are sacrificing social and
emotional ties with others.  But it is unlikely that
students will become obsessed by using technology in
schools for educational purposes.

     I have no problem with schools spending more and
more money on computers.  I have seen my district
spend (actually waste) a lot more money on useless
programs and initiatives.

Wilson B

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx