[edi581] Stoll Article

  • From: Iwannacoronatooo@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:11:09 EST

    After reading this article I really cannot believe someone that uses
technology in the way that he does would feel this way.  I cannot imagine my
6th
graders coming into class the first day having  never touched/used a computer.
    A few years ago the computer lab in my building just served the upper
elementary grades and they were able to go twice a week.  Now all
classrooms(except Kindergarten) now have computer lab time which I think is
very
important(even if I only get to go one time a week now).  Now by the time these
students
get to me in 6th grade they have been exposed to many different programs(Kid
Pix, Type to Learn, Kidsperation, Inspiration etc.) which help them with
learning.
    When ever I finish a writing piece in my class everyone wants to use the
computer to "pretty" them up.  I know that this does not make their writing
any better but it gives thema chance to take pride in the work they have done.
    In my opinion I really don't this Stoll have been into a classroom in a
very long time to see just how computers are used.  Yes some times they are
used for fun.  Heaven forbid that kids have fun at school.  Maybe just maybe
during that fun time students may actually learn something and carry it on with
them.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx