[edi581] Re: Stoll Article

  • From: Sean Crandall <smcranda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:09:41 -0800 (PST)

"And in This Corner ... (Another) 'High-Tech
Heretic'!"

After reading the Stoll article I actually found
myself siding more with Stoll than those who advocate
having more computers in the classroom.  Sure, I
understand the necessity of making sure that children
are adequately prepared for the future by teaching
them how to use a computer.  But how much do we really
have to focus on it?  I mean outside of basic
information and the how-to's of computers, should it
really be a significant part of a child's education?

Stoll's answer to those who feel that computer
education is vital to preparing a child for their
future is totally appropriate.  Many kids simply
cannot read and write at a competent level, but almost
sure can use a computer.  While I personally have no
hard evidence of this, I've got plenty anecdotal
evidence that proves there are plenty of people out
there who know how to use their computer, but a
plainly deficient when it comes to reading and
writing.  And if you can't read or write, what good
does knowing how to use a computer do you, assuming
you didn't have to read something to learn how to use
the programs that came with it?  Now I am personally
not opposed to the idea of extending the school day to
accommodate computer education, but computer ed.
should in no way take away from the time that we
educate students in the basics.

I also feel that Stoll was right on when he compared
the price of a field trip compared to the price of a
computer.  Field trips get kids out there to
experience something, relevant to their education,
they might not normally do with their friends and
family.  Computers really don't achieve this, except
in some of the poorest areas of this country.  In some
cases, kids go home and plop themselves in front of
the computer to play games, IM, or surf the Net.
Heck, my friends and I used to play Doom Deathmatch
all of the time during High School and most our
computer experiences in school were with Apple II's
(you know, the kind of computer you had to push the
clutch in to get it going. lol).  In any case,
computers are poor investments when you consider the
money needed to initially purchase them and then
maintain and update them.  And if field trips still
don't seem like a wise reinvestment of money, why not
spend our school budgets on something else? like
teachers.  Teachers are not only a better investment,
they can provide a number of complex learning skills
that just can't be duplicated by an artificial
intelligence.  And the more teachers we can hire, the
more one-on-one attention we can give to all of our
students, benefiting them and us.

Unlike Stoll though, I do feel that computers do have
some redeeming value for the classroom.  Teachers can
use computers in a variety of ways to help supplement
(not replace) their instruction.  For instance, a
teacher can construct a class website that keeps
students up to date on when assignments will be due,
answers questions that students have about the current
class material, and links to interesting sites that
are pertinent to in-class discussions.  However, like
Stoll, I do feel that we need to get students to
search for knowledge in books, magazines, and
newspapers, rather than have it handed to them on the
internet (where all you really have to do is put in a
few terms related to your search and the search engine
does the rest).

A few last points that I would personally like to
make.  First, books and magazines are better for your
eyes and just as good if not better sources of
information than anything that you can find on the
Net.  Second, you can take a book or magazine with
you, outside, in the car, to the doctor's office,
etc., and you don't have to worry about outside
elements that might adversely affect the information
that you're carrying.  A magnet never erased ink and
paper.

-Sean Crandall

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx