[ebooktalk] Re: BEATLES BOOK AGAIN

  • From: "CJ& AA MAY" <chrisalis.may@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 18:37:43 +0100

No, I never attended any of the Pirate Radio bashes. But it was much easier
and cheaper in the sixties to follow your favourite groups. My main haunt
was the Marquee Club in Wardorf Street in Soho. I saw The Moody Blues there
as well as the Animals, The Who, Ben E King, The Yarbirds, just to name a
few. I maybe a bit mistaken as some of those we also saw at a club in Oxford
Street but I can't call to mind the name of the club.
The BBC in those days also had shows where tickets were free and I recall
going to the Albert Hall, where Del Shannon was top of the bill, supported
by an amazing cast: The Beatles, Billy J Cramer, Dusty Springfield, Gerry
and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and many other well known names - how much
would a show like that cost you these days - but it was entirely free!
It was an amazing time to live in London with an accessible and affordable
music scene.
Alison