[duxuser] Re: upgrade to 10.5

  • From: Anna K Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:09:21 -0500

Will 10.5 deal with spread sheets? My 10.4 consistently crashed when I tried to convert from .xls files.
At 07:01 AM 9/8/2004, you wrote:

Hi Rick,

There's a lot to answer, but I'll do my best.

My own trick for the icons is to rename the original DBT
10.4 icon, by right clicking on the desktop Icon, and
selecting Rename.  I then call it something like "DBT Old".
When you then install 10.5 (into a separate folder) it will
create a new icon.  You can then rename this to say, "DBT
New".

Your Templates for 10.4 may well be still there, since
Add/Remove programs does not actually delete the c:\duxbury
folder.

As regards embosser setup parameters, I more than suspect
that we'll have to do some fine tuning with many of the
embossers in the list.  The general parameters have been
acquired from various sources such as manufacturer's
manuals, and are their theoretical maximums and minimums.

I don't believe you should have a problem opening 10.5 files
in 10.4.  I certainly didn't find any problems myself during
the beta cycle.

Failure to open Word files is a worry, though we will need
more specific information such as the Version of Word
actually in use, plus the version of Word that it's files
are saved as.  You can for example, set up Word 2003 to save
it's files by default in an older format.

As regards saving embosser information with 10.5 files, I
hope in the longer term, when you get to know it, you will
appreciate that if files get moved from one system to
another, the document parameters are retained.  In 10.4 or
earlier, if say your Global Embosser setup was for 40 cells
and 27 lines, and I opened one of your files where my
settings were say 42 and 28, the document would be
reformatted.  You can still override any settings though.

And finally tables.  Hands up.  It didn't make it in this
version.  It's another one of these highly desired features
which just simply could not be implemented in the timeframe.
There have been many sweeping changes in 10.5, and
personally speaking, I'd like to see things settle down
while the remaining gremlins are exorcised.

George Bell.

Boggess
> Sent: 08 September 2004 02:37
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] Re: upgrade to 10.5
>
> Late Friday afternoon, I downloaded and installed 10.5.  I

> wasn't thinking and overwrote my version 10.4.  Today I
> decided to uninstall 10.5, reinstall, 10.4 and reinstall
10.5
> in a separate directory.  I'm not sure everything
uninstalled
> since my templates from 10.4 were still intact after the
> uninstall/reinstall.  I used add/remove programs in
Windows 98.

> First, I need to set up a startup icon for one of the
> programs in the start menu.  As I recall, there wre
several
> templates to chose from in 10.5, but they do not seem to
be
> there now.  Second, I have tried to open several word
files
> and cannot get them to open in 10.5.  Should I once again
> uninstall everything and try to reinstall.  By the way, I
> have activated 10.5 since I just purchased this version of

> 10.4 about two months ago.
>
> I typed a short document in Duxbury 10.5 this afternoon in

> the office so I could print it on the network printer.
The
> printing went fine on the thomas.  However, the 27 lines
> default for the 11in paper was too much for the page.  I
> noticed that if I changed to the 12inch paper the default
> number of lines was 30, which I suspect is too many.  I
> reduced the number to 25 with a 1 line tope margin for my
11
> inch paper and things worked fine.
>
> Will I have problems if I deactivate and reactivate the
> software if I  need to reinstall?
>
> We have another licensed version 10.4 on another computer
in
> our office.
> I'm assuming that if I create a document in 10.5 the
> assistant will not be able to load and print the document
in 10.4.

> One observation I've made is that, while I like the idea
that
> one can setup several embossers, I'm not sure I like the
fact
> that the embosser information stays with the file.  In
> addition, do I understand that one must set up embossers
for
> each template?  It would sure be nice if one could
transfer
> those settings from template to template.
>
> I was very disappointed to discover that the ability to do

> columns and tables, which MegaDots does very well, has not

> been incorporated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rick Boggess

Dresser
> Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 11:31 AM
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] Re: upgrade to 10.5
>
> Dave,
>
> As George said, Version 10.5 doesn't have to overwrite
your
> previous version.  When you're installing 10.5, just pick
> different folder than the one it defaults to.  If the
folder
> doesn't yet exist, the installer will create it.  That's
> exactly what I did because, like you, I wasn't quite sure
> wanted to overwrite the old version, and it worked
perfectly.

> Steve
>
> On Monday 9/6/04 11:10 Dave Durber wrote:
>
> >Given the fact there are and, will continue to be
teething problems
> >with DBT 10.5, I am hoping that we will be able to have
both
> versions
> >of the software on our computers, in the same way as JAWS

> for Windows.
> >
> >My suggestion would be that the program folder should be
> called Duxbury
> >10.5 or simply DBT 10.5.
> >
> >If DBT 10.5 is allowed to overwrite or update DBT 10.4,
then it will
> >prevent individuals like myself from producing our
braille
> output with
> >a version of DBT that does what we want it to do.
> >
> >This means, for example, if I import a file from DBT 10.4
into DBT
> >10.5 that has a custom-saved template and I create that
> template in DBT
> >10.5 and, for example, I have problems embossing that
file
> within DBT
> >10.5, I should be able to load that file back into DBT
10.4
> and emboss
> >the file in a way that I know that the file will be
embossed
> correctly.
> >
> >This will not be possible if DBT 10.5 is allowed to
> overwrite or update
> >the default folder for DBT 10.4, which has, up to now,
been called
> >"Duxbury".
> >
> >This problem should be given the most urgent attention.
> >
> >Sincerely:
> >
> >Dave Durber
> >
> >On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:40:51 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Ken,
> > >
> > >You do NOT need to remove DBT 10.4 first.  The
> installation program
> > >will then automatically find your License file a
proceed
> accordingly.
> > >
> > >George Bell.
> > >
> > >________________________________

Stewart
> > >Sent: 06 September 2004 04:00
> > >To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >Subject: [duxuser] Re: upgrade to 10.5
> > >

> > >When upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5, we do need to
uninstall
> > >10.4 don't we or will the install program take care of
that?
> > >Thanks
> > >Ken Stewart
> > >

> > >This Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.

> >* * *
> >* This message is via list duxuser at freelists.org.
> >* To unsubscribe, send a blank message with
> >*   unsubscribe
> >* as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> >* subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other

> subscription
> >* options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com