[duxuser] Re: upgrade to 10.5

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:31:08 -0400

Dave,

As George said, Version 10.5 doesn't have to overwrite your previous version. When you're installing 10.5, just pick a different folder than the one it defaults to. If the folder doesn't yet exist, the installer will create it. That's exactly what I did because, like you, I wasn't quite sure I wanted to overwrite the old version, and it worked perfectly.

Steve

On Monday 9/6/04 11:10 Dave Durber wrote:

Given the fact there are and, will continue to be teething problems
with DBT 10.5, I am hoping that we will be able to have both versions
of the software on our computers, in the same way as JAWS for Windows.

My suggestion would be that the program folder should be called
Duxbury 10.5 or simply DBT 10.5.

If DBT 10.5 is allowed to overwrite or update DBT 10.4, then it will
prevent individuals like myself from producing our braille output with
a version of DBT that does what we want it to do.

This means, for example, if I import a file from DBT 10.4 into DBT
10.5 that has a custom-saved template and I create that template in
DBT 10.5 and, for example, I have problems embossing that file within
DBT 10.5, I should be able to load that file back into DBT 10.4 and
emboss the file in a way that I know that the file will be embossed
correctly.

This will not be possible if DBT 10.5 is allowed to overwrite or
update the default folder for DBT 10.4, which has, up to now, been
called "Duxbury".

This problem should be given the most urgent attention.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber