[duxuser] Re: keyboard

  • From: Kaari Parrish <kparrish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:11:49 -0800

I had to replace my keyboard not long ago. Our local fairly small computer store was wonderful to deal with. I explained what I was after, and asked if there was any way to test them. They were happy to hook up any keyboard I wanted to their display computer and let me test it. We ended up with the whole staff gathered around watching and commenting on how cool it was. Very easy, and I ended up with 2 keyboards - one fairly low-end model, and one of the roll-up ones. Even in a larger store, if you bring in a laptop, just ask and they'll probably be happy to have you plug it in and test it. (use NotePad, not full-scale DBT. It's faster and easier.) One thing I learned is that if the keyboard is so fancy that it has its own installation software, you don't want it.

Also, check which keys you use. The usual is the sdf and jkl keys. With some keyboards those keys don't work but the qwe and op[ DO. I was overjoyed to find that the keyboard on my very small laptop is like that. Now I can stretch out on the couch with some tea and still get my braille done!

Good luck.

Kaari
Hi. I have been onthe email list for a long time but this is the first time I need help. I braille books for students in Connecticut using Duxbury. I just received a new computer with a new keyboard and it does not have the 6 key entry feature. Can you recommend any keyboard brands or models that will allow me to use my keyboard when I am working in Duxbury so I don't pruchase a few, bring them all home and try them out to find out which one works . Thanks so much.