[duxuser] Re: Question about Generating a Table of Contents

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:01:44 -0400

Hi Deb,

What finally ends up in the table of contents is determined by the use of the heading styles H1, H2, and H3. H1 produces an entry which starts at the left margin, while H2 produces an entry indented 2 spaces from the left margin. H3 indents the entry two more spaces than H2. So the bottom line is that you need to enclose your major headings in an H1 style if you want to see them in the contents.

To actually generate the table of contents, you need to translate the document into braille (unless you're starting with a braille document). The table of contents generator is not available in a print document. Once the document is ready, you need to place the cursor in the exact spot where you want to put the table of contents. Then, go to the Layout menu and select the option for generating the table of contents. This opens a dialog box with the cursor on the OK button. Pressing Enter at this point will generate a table of contents according to BANA rules, which means, among other things, that print page numbers will be used. If you don't have print page numbers in your document (and most likely you won't), you'll get no page numbers at all. To correct this, tab past the Cancel button to the drop-down list of options for generating a table of contents and choose "Customize." Fill in the required information, and tab to OK or press Enter. Your document will now have a table of contents.

You may have a few other things to play around with, especially if you didn't put your cursor in exactly the right place. Let me know if you run into any problems, and I'll help you. Good luck.

Steve

On Tuesday 10/7/03 14:00 Deborah Barnes wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've never actually generated a Table of Contents using the new Contents
feature.  I did not type the document--it was given to me to format, fix,
and otherwise straighten out ... but I have to put in a Table of Contents.

Short on time so can anyone tell me what to do to make sure this works?  I
think I remember trying it once and having problems.

It has headings--like Appetizers, Breads, etc.  It also has each recipe that
can be listed but we're looking at a very simple Contents page with just the
major items listed.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Deb B.