[duxuser] Re: Good News!

  • From: "Dawes, Stephen" <Stephen.Dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 07:32:57 -0600

Lisa,

Congratulations on your certification.

My impressions of your Web site are:
I think you have missed the boat on your Web site. I just went to your
Web site and left right away. You have made your Web site not appealing
for screen reader visitors by having your Web page play music when you
first open it. The music interferes with listening to the screen. I for
one will not stay at a Web site that plays audio without my first
requesting it, while I am browsing it. I come to the Web sites to find
information. If it is music I am looking for, then let me find what I am
looking for and give me the choice of listening to it.

I suggest that you check out the World Wide Web Consortium on Web
Accessibility, the W3C will provide you with all that you need to know
on making an accessible Web Site.

I find it somewhat ironic that you are working towards graduating in the
Braille Program at your college, meaning that you are wanting to help in
the field of accessibility, but you don't extend the concept of
accessibility to your Web site.

Stephen Dawes  <B.A., B.Sc.>
Management Systems Analyst
The City of Calgary                   |  Phone: (403) 268-5527
Information & Technology #8245        |  Fax:   (403) 268-2546
   PO Box 2100 Postal Station M.      |  Email: Stephen.Dawes@xxxxxxxxxx
   Calgary, Alberta, Canada. T2P 2M5  |  Web:  http://www.calgary.ca
<http://www.calgary.ca/>

        NOTICE::
        This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or
entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or
a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the
intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution,
or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in
it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or
delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by
us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.