[duxuser] Re: EDITING BRAILLE DOCUMENTS WITH A BRAILLE DISPLAY

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:30:43 -0400

Hello Andre:

I have notice that if you use DBT as soon as you start a new Windows
session, the braille display shows the text starting in the first cell
of the display most of the time.

However, I have noticed that when you launch DBT and load or create a
document, regardless as to whether you are in the print document
window or the braille document window, the text starts being displayed
in the second cell instead of the first.  This is especially true if
you have previously run other programs before launching DBT or, if you
are running other programs in the background, such as: Internet
Explorer; Windows Explorer and Cute FTP; in addition to DBT, obviously
with DBT being the program that has the current focus.

The fact that the additional space does not appear when you emboss the
braille output has nothing to do with the way that the text is
displayed on the screen.  It has to do with the way that different
programs draw their windows on the display.  In many cases, when you
close many programs that run under Windows, the Windows operating
system does not always re-draw the desktop to the default boundaries
as they are drawn at the initial startup of each Windows session.

It appears that braille displays may be showing the element of a
border that is not necessarily visible around the edges of a window on
the display.

I am not certain about this, but it seems to be the only conclusion
that I have come up with so far.

On the other hand, it might have to do with the way that DBT draws its
own parent and child windows on the display.

I found it very annoying at first but, I have got used to it and it
doesn't bother me anymore.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber