[duxuser] Re: EDITING BRAILLE DOCUMENTS WITH A BRAILLE DISPLAY

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:37:56 +0100

Hi Andre,

Provided you take time and great care to set up a display
properly, and then stay rigidly with those settings, you can
do a serious degree of proofing.  I have seen this done with
both Alva and Powerbraille 40 cell displays, though of
course one should not ideally be producing more than 40
cells per line.

Having said that, I personally would still advocate a final
paper proof copy.  If nothing else, it serves to check the
quality and accuracy of the braille being produced by the
embosser.  I'm afraid I have seen all too many cases of late
where embossers have perhaps dropped dots, or even complete
cells, for one technical reason or another.

George.

van Deventer
> Sent: 23 September 2004 10:28
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] EDITING BRAILLE DOCUMENTS WITH A
BRAILLE DISPLAY

> Hi all
>
> I have been asked by someone who is not on this list and
who
> is a Duxbury owner  whether it is really practical to
> proofread books produced on Duxbury efficiently in the
> translated form with a braille display only.  This would
> include checking things like page  layout and so forth.
>
> I can do this to some extent with Jaws and switching off
the
> Grade 2 translator.  But could layout be a problem
perhaps.
> I have found with quite a few  models of braille display
that
> for some reason lines that print against the left margin
tend
> to actually begin one cell from the left of the start of
the display.

> Hope this query makes sense to someone!!
>
> Regards
>
> Andre

> * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other
subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com