[drivingpairs] Re: How to stop my ponies biting while in harness

  • From: "Seavilla Mike" <seavilla.Mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:30:50 -0800

First I would check the harness and the dynamics between the two when
trotting, since you say that is when the biting happens.  Biter is unhappy
about something!  Maybe his buddy is pulling him along from behind?  Or
creating some other uncomfortable situation. Are you using an evener?  It
may be banging the slow one in the hocks.  Can you get both in draft and on
the bit?  Dose the biting stop then?  Try circling left & right and see if
the biting stops in either direction. If the biting stops when the biter is
the inside horse (and doing the work (and bending correctly?)) then try
keeping him in draft and doing more work.

Or you can use a Jockey stick!

You can also rig a side rein on the outside to limit his ability to reach
his partner, but this has other consequences and is not a good long term
solution.