[drivingpairs] Re: How to stop my ponies biting while in harness

  • From: marged harris <dixzchx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:25:49 -0800 (PST)

For me, this is the fun part of driving multiples....what will make them tick.
First check for pain/discomfort caused by the double rig.  Then is there
discomfort caused by the pulling part of the pairs driving....something poking,
whacking particularly if they aren't pulling together.  If you can eliminate
all physical problems (a knowledgable person on the ground is better than you
from the drivers seat), then you go to psychological,  Is the biter trying to
do just what you are doing, speed up the non-puller, or is he dominating the
younger horse and saying no way you get past me.  Frustrating but the joy of
seeing them work together will be worth the careful analysis.  marged

CantabriaFarms@xxxxxxx wrote:          Hello, I have just started driving my
ponies as a pair. We have hitched them once and I ground drive them nearly
everyday. Problem is, the head honcho is biting the weaker guy. Can't get him
to stop. They stand tied for hours, neither bite. Are turned out together as
well.
  Kathy Robertson wrote about a muzzle she made out of parachute rope. I was
wondering if either, you could forward this, or let me have her address. I
would like if possible, to get a picture of the muzzle so I can make one.
  At the walk, most times he is OK. At the trot, he is biting about every 2nd
stride, or trying to. I can't use another rein on him as I am flat out holding
the other pony and pushing him on. The biter is the lazy one. They both drive
in snaffle bits, the biter is well broke to drive and 9 years old. The other is
6, he is well broke to drive, just not as steady as the lazy one.
  Thanks so much.
  Laurel

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time