[drivingpairs] How to stop my ponies biting while in harness

  • From: CantabriaFarms@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:12:34 EST

Hello, I have just started driving my ponies as a pair. We have hitched  them
once and I ground drive them nearly everyday. Problem is, the head honcho  is
biting the weaker guy. Can't get him to stop. They stand tied for hours,
neither bite. Are turned out together as well.
Kathy Robertson wrote about a muzzle she made out of parachute rope. I was
wondering if either, you could forward this, or let me have her address. I
would  like if possible, to get a picture of the muzzle so I can make one.
At the walk, most times he is OK. At the trot, he is biting about every 2nd
stride, or trying to. I can't use another rein on him as I am flat out holding
 the other pony and pushing him on. The biter is the lazy one. They both
drive in  snaffle bits, the biter is well broke to drive and 9 years old. The
other is 6,  he is well broke to drive, just not as steady as the lazy one.
Thanks so much.
Laurel