[drivingpairs] Re: How to stop my ponies biting while in harness

  • From: "Anne Councill" <birchhollow_anne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:00:18 -0500

I don't have a solution for the problem, just a little insight into why it
may be happening.
Many times I've seen a less dominant horse 'get even' with his superior when
the opportunity presents itself.  The trodden upon are well aware of when
the alpha horse is unable to assert himself and will shamelessly attack.  As
you are well aware, this can be a real problem in multiple hitches.
Just a couple of examples.  Shortly after I moved I decided to get my
dominant stallion back to work by longlining him in his field with his
subordinate gelding pasturemate running loose.  That gelding chased his
abuser, and I use the term loosely, around the circle and tried to bite his
hocks.  It was kind of funny at the time, but it forced me to find another
place to school.
A friend with a 4 had this problem also with one member who was an outsider
in the group and the bottom individual in the herd.  He was a great single
but caused no end of problems in the hitch no matter where he was placed.
            This dynamic can also play a role when one member of a pair
appears lazy and won't get into the traces.  While he may well be lazy, he
may also not want to come up even with his teammate who might see it as a
challenge and he fears retribution.  That one hopefully resolves itself when
he discovers the alpha horse cannot retaliate.
Food for thought.
Anne

Driving in Birch Hollow * Stewartstown, PA * 717 880 3840