[dokuwiki] Re: status of farms?

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:38:31 +0000

Christopher Smith wrote:
On 25 Oct 2009, at 12:07, Anika Henke wrote:

2. Whenever farming will be in a stable state, will it be implemented into the core? I think inc/preload.php should be part of the core. If no farm directory is specified it would be no harm. And if it is specified ($conf['farmdir']?) anyone can add an animal by simply copying the appropriate folders into the animal folder.

Preload makes farming possible/easier, its not the only use.

But isn't it the recommended use? If we added something to the core, wouldn't it be done with preload.php only?

I really like the way Drupal handles animals!

AFAIK we are already half-way there. The "only" things missing are:
* a particular directory for non-core plugins and templates (this is not important for farming, but I like it :) )
* animal-specific plugins and templates

I am wary of this. Plugins and templates are executable PHP and have unrestricted access to the server (much like enabling php in a wiki).

I prefer a single repository of plugins/templates with per animal enable/disable.

Okay, that's another option which would also solve the issue of duplicate plugins and templates. As long as it will be possible to enable and disable plugins and templates per animal, I'm fine with that.

The reason why I would want the non-core plugins seperated from the core plugins (and templates) is to be able to have only one single directory to backup (not just for the purpose of backup, but it just seems cleaner to me). It's not important and I'm aware that this wish is least likely to get fulfilled. ;-)

So, I'll renew my list of essential missing things:
* make it possible to enable and disable plugins and templates per animal

I'm in favour of directory separation of default config from local config. The config cascade allows this while also allowing the current shared directory setup. You'll need to prevail on Andy to get a change in the default setup. I did ask already ;-)

Yup, that's fine. The only change I would suggest is adding inc/preload.php (together with the pre-defined confic cascade, etc) and a 'farm/example.com' folder with everything already in place.

The things still missing are:
- farm management admin plugins.
-- create/remove animals. -- restrict config settings by animal (equivalent to setting local.protected, e.g. php=off)
-- restrict plugin availability by animal.
-- restrict template availability by animal.

- animal management admin plugin.
-- animal specific plugin page that allows enable/disable of plugins available to animal

Good idea.

Regarding my suggestion of including a 'farm/example.com' folder earlier: If such farm/animal admin plugins existed, that folder wouldn't be needed anymore, of course (except for an empty 'farm' folder).

Once there are the farm plugins, I think it would be worthwhile to have a farm enabled dokuwiki install version, which included those plugins and preload.

That sounds like a plan. :)

Thanks for the insight.
I think I'll go on and test some plugins in my farm now.

Anika