[dokuwiki] status of farms?

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:07:24 +0000

Hi list,

This weekend I finally tried some DokuWiki farming [http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm2] for the first time.

I was impressed at how easy it is. :)
This also leads to 2 questions:

1. What is the complete status of farming in DokuWiki?
I haven't tested it properly and only clicked randomly around a bit. So, I was wondering if anyone with a better insight and more experience could report on what still needs to be done? As far as I could see, templates and plugins *per animal* are the only things that are missing? Is there any unexpected behaviour left?

2. Whenever farming will be in a stable state, will it be implemented into the core? I think inc/preload.php should be part of the core. If no farm directory is specified it would be no harm. And if it is specified ($conf['farmdir']?) anyone can add an animal by simply copying the appropriate folders into the animal folder.

I really like the way Drupal handles animals!
For those of you not familiar with it: Drupal has one directory ('./sites/') which contains a) all non-core modules and themes (or in DokuWiki terms: plugins and templates) which are shared across all animals (in 'sites/all').
b) all default config files and more (in 'sites/default').
c) all animals, each in its own directory in the form of 'domain.org' which contains the site-specific config files, themes and modules!

See also http://drupal.org/getting-started/6/install/multi-site

AFAIK we are already half-way there. The "only" things missing are:
* a particular directory for non-core plugins and templates (this is not important for farming, but I like it :) )
* animal-specific plugins and templates

I implemented the handy and more flexible way Drupal handles its farm directory into a preload.php, see http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm2#variant_of_the_virtual_host_based_setup_like_multi-sites_with_drupal

So, my dream in one line: path_to_dokufarm/domain.org/conf|data|tpl|plugins

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Anika