[dokuwiki] Re: The database question: a new spin

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:14:58 -0500 (CDT)

> Therefore I did implement db-access in dokuwiki, by moving all file access
> functions to 'io.php', and implementing simple db-write and db-read functions
> that can optionally be called if enabled.

Oops, Mario, I owe you a deep apology.  I was thrown by your start with
mentioning a no-file-write storage solution.  While I'm not keen on that
particular application, I do believe the solution you described has a strong
bearing on the database-as-cache idea, and I don't want to dismiss you.

I'm not familiar with much of the DokuWiki internals yet and don't know if
there's a separation between cached-access and original access there.  But the
fact that you can do most of the job just by writing your own io.php is good
news (and reflects well on our esteemed DokuWiki developers).  Perhaps the
database caching solution would be a hybrid of the current io.php and the one
you've developed -- go to the DB first, and if not there, then to the file.
Output would write to both file and DB.

I don't right now have the time to pursue the database caching scheme.  My main
intent was to highlight the need to create clear boundaries in DokuWiki code
for allowing this sort of solution in the future.  It sounds like most of those
boundaries may be there already.

Again, I sincerely apolize for jumping the gun and cutting you short.  I know
how much it irks me when people do that to me.  Actually, 'irks' is the polite
word to describe my reaction.  And thanks for doing the hard work getting a
head start on database integration.

Best wishes,
~joe