[dokuwiki] Re: The database question: a new spin

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:30:55 -0500 (CDT)

> Just a note: At least Unix systems (but I'm pretty sure the same is true
> for Windows) do cache frequently accessed filesystem data in memory...
> so you haven't that much disk activity for read only accesses. In fact
> it would be possible to install DokuWiki on a RAM disk...

You're right.  I wasn't being entirely fair.  It's a difference in tailoring
for the task.  What are disk blocks, 1K or 4K in size?  Sometimes you have to
cache two blocks if the little bit of data spans a block boundary.  And you
still have to cache one block per file the data might be found in.  So even
though technically the file system does cache, the caching is poorly optimized
for piecemeal data retrieval.

But yes, I realize that you're focused on getting a release out and I'm
distracting you and everyone else from the task.  I thought I'd seed the idea
in people's minds while it was in my mind, because the main take-away is, let's
abstract functionality behind interchangeable interfaces as we design.

~joe