[dokuwiki] Re: The database question: a new spin

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:16:01 -0500 (CDT)

>From: "marioemmenlauer@xxxxxx" <marioemmenlauer@xxxxxx>
>
> I do agree that adding db-support would be a good feature, just because
> there are so many people out there with cheap webspace (no file write access)
> that cannot use dokuwiki.

I just want to be clear that I'm not suggesting a solution to the
no-file-write-access problem.  I'm still suggesting that the file system be the
original source of configuration and content.  The database would merely
operate as a cache of sorts, providing increased performance and availability.

However, I'm not arguing against making it an option to store original data in
the database and not in the file system.  That's a distinct issue from the one
I mean to discuss in this thread.  Please let's not confuse the issue in this
thread.

My understanding is that you can completely eliminate the no-file-write-access
problem by configuring DokuWiki to use FTP.  Or was that just FTP to establish
file locks?

~joe