[dokuwiki] Re: [GSOC] Rewrite Plugin Management

  • From: José Carlos Campos <zecapistolas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 01:57:46 +0000

Hi,

All day I thought on user interface for Plugin Managenement and spoke
with some friends who use DokuWiki.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Piyush Mishra <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Its nice to move the enable / disable ( activate / deactivate ) away
> form the checkbox but all existing users are used to that and this may
> cause a little issue with some people probably end up doing something
> stupid with their plugins altogether. bulk actions IMHO are really
> good and we should have someway of allowing that. probably JS
> multiselect click > ctrl+click ?

I agree with all user look to page 'Plugin Management' and understand
(now) checkbox mean plugin activate / deactivate, but CTRL + Click for
new users is easy?! I ask that, because CTRL + Click is a hidden
feature, we can see that until we press CTRL + Click.

> Or would you think that as the plugin manager is getting re done, with
> a new design, probably a change in the way they are used to with the
> plugin wont hurt a lot?

My idea is maintain the same/current layout, but improve that to
support news futures. And for this, I try to maintain the structure
and change little things.

---8<---

So, my ideas.

+ Installed plugins: http://goo.gl/CkxET & http://goo.gl/j3RYA
Basically, it's the same structure at original, but now with:
- Search field, we can search with all types possible (syntax, action,
admin, etc)
- Popular tags at right;
- The possible to see description about plugin and more important, we
can see very quickly if plugin was enable or disable (plugin enable
has text black and plugin disable has text grey); [Yes, if we see the
current Plugin Management' this it's different, but I think this is a
new idea, and can be work very well]
- Select all plugins with 'Select All' link, and with CTRL + CLICK
(maybe with that, I don't know) we can pick out one or more choice;
- And apply actions on single or multiples plugins.

+ Search plugins: http://goo.gl/DpvQ9 & http://goo.gl/YRv3f
- When you search for something, on results we will see 'Plugins from
Repository' and 'Installed Plugins' which match with text at search
field;
- If you click on '+info' no description of plugin you can see more
information about that plugin (I have some ideas to show this, but now
I don't have mockups to show)

If you saw the mockups, you saw the 'Plugin | Template' at the top of
page. I put that, because if you want manage plugin you select Plugin,
if you want manage yours templates, you select Template and for
example, Tags for Plugins and Templates are different, so two options.

I'm waiting for feedback.... ;)

ZéCarlos