[DZR] Re: Next release - call for feature requests

  • From: "Erik Putrycz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directixer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:46:04 +0200

> > And would it be possible to have on the directx preset list the Vst
presets
> > ? I always find that strange to have many presets selectors...
>
> VST programs are fundamentally different from DirectX presets.
>
> You *load* DirectX presets into a plugin.  Then, you can change
> parameters without affecting that preset.  You can have as many DirectX
> presets as you like, and load them whenever you wish; you can save a
> modified plugin with your project.
>
> VST programs are slots in a fixed number of entries, called a "bank".
> This is closer to a hardware model, where you usually have a limited
> number of programs.  By modifying plugin parameters, you always modify
> the currently selected program.  You can load an FXB file, replacing all
> programs in the plugin with the new bank of programs from the file.
>
> So I do not really know how to "correctly" convert VST programs to
> DirectX presets.  Any ideas?  How do you see it done?

I think it would be cute to see the default VST bank entries in the DirectX
presets. I don't mind not seeing the other banks, most of my plugz just have
a default bank with something like 20 entries.
That makes friendly to browser the default plug-in presets for trying new
plug-ins. Then I usually go more in details and I don't use the factory
presets anymore.

> Let me see if I understand you.  You want a command to scan a configured
> directory (say VstPlugins, or any other to your liking), and all its
> subdirectories, adding any plugin not already registered and not
> specifically unregistered before, right?
>
> Erik - is this what you mean by adding entire directory of plugins?

Yes !!! that is it exactly !!

And would it be possible to fix the Sonic Foundry bug and make Directxer
work outside the plug-in chain ?

Erik.