[DZR] Re: Next release - call for feature requests

  • From: "Kevin Perry" <mountain_grill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directixer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:03:58 +0100

> > - I've recently reinstalled Windows and then DirectiXer, and when you
> > first run it, it sits there for ages claiming it's scanning plug-ins,
> > but doing nothing; what it ought to do is prompt you for your VST
> > plug-ins directory (which any dedicated VST apps will use) and install
> > any/all plug-ins it finds there;
>
> This is a bug in verison 2.2.  Actually, the one available on the site
> right now (1502K .zip archive) is supposed to be free of this bug.  Just
> press ESC if it happens, and the progress window goes away.  I have it
> fixed already.

So does Alt-F4 :-)

> > - To mimic one of the huge management advantages of VST over DX (ie.
just
> > drop a dll file into the VST plug-ins directory), DirectiXer should
> > periodically rescan the directory configured above - if you have
manually
> > excluded/removed a plug-in within DirectiXer's interface, it shouldn't
add
> > it back in, so you'll need to keep a list of excluded plug-ins); of
course,
> > you can also add plug-ins not in the VST directory manually as per now;
>
> Let me see if I understand you.  You want a command to scan a configured
> directory (say VstPlugins, or any other to your liking), and all its
> subdirectories, adding any plugin not already registered and not
> specifically unregistered before, right?

Sort of - I want it to happen as transparently as possible.

- At install time, you configure a VST plug-ins directory
- As part of the install, that directory (and subdirectories) is scanned and
plug-ins registered
- If you delete/rename a plug-in within the DirectiXer application, that
change is noted and subsequent automatic rescans do not change the deleted
status or the name of the wrapped plug-in (*)
- There is an option in DirectiXer to rescan the configured directory (and
an option to change the path) - this takes into account changes made
manually (* above) (**) - ie. it only adds in new plug-ins
- A small additional application is run every boot that does the same as a
manual scan at (**) - this is the only(?) way I can think of to mimic the
ease of installing VST plug-ins within a DX environment

> > - Get fxpansion's plug-ins working within DirectiXer without screwing up
the
> > GUI (try the 2 free ones Mysteron and Enigmatron; Mysteron works 90% of
the
> > time, Enigmatron works 0% of the time and corrupts the display).
>
> You should have let me know that as soon as you discovered it.  Why
> suffer? :)

I forgot :-)

One extra feature I'd like to see is the ability to change the 'special
features' (eg. use alternative GUI method) from within the plug-in window in
the DX host - ie. I don't need to go back to DirectiXer to do it, but can do
it when I spot a problem immediately.

Oh - and DirectiXer 2.1 doesn't seem to register itself in SONAR 2's menu
any more!

Kevin