[delphizip] Re: Translatable strings for Dlls

  • From: "R. Peters" <russellpeters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:40:37 +1000

Sounds reasonable.
I think if we put a default 'Cannot load resource %d' string into the
component then that message could readily be adapted (it would have to
default to a default default ResourceString in case someone tried to clear
it).
I am a bit concerned about response time for loading the strings (some of
the dll strings need speed) so, what if we preload the strings, any missing
strings could be loaded from the dll.
Also it should not take (too) much to (as you may have been suggesting)
store all res strings as compressed Unicode either as res file or dll
resource file (only difference in loading is the module handle).
It should be possible to extract the Unicode strings from the existing res
files (see the Delphi example ResXplore), compress them and store as 'data'.

Provided we can get the defaults, I like the idea of being able to have all
the languages available.
There may be problems getting the strings from the dll (another reason to
pre-load) - while the dll is in operation (loaded) cannot load it again (in
same thread) to load resources (of course many ways around that - have the
dll loader load the strings).
I am getting closer to enabling multiple ZipMasters to share same loaded
dll.
- Russell Peters