[delphizip] Re: Translatable strings for Dlls

  • From: "R. Peters" <russellpeters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:59:12 +1000

Unfortunately not readily put into the dll or retrieved again afterwards.
I too have thought along these lines for the dlls - one reason I was
considering combining both dll, instead of compressing them as a resource.
To recompile all the language strings the os (and resource compiler) needs
to handle all the languages. (may be able to extract from resource files as
Unicode but still could not recompile).

It would be easier to build resource dlls for each language compress each
and expand on need - not small job.

Also there is the problem of still requiring resource strings in each
language to be able to complain if the dll cannot be loaded.
And then there still is the mess caused by missing strings - you either
throw exception (in source language - approximating English) or you
duplicate the strings (again in source language).
Also you need to have the dll loaded all the time.

I would guess that the combined compressed resources would be about 100K.
Most of the resource files are about 10k but of course that is Unicode so,
in most cases, the strings would be about 5k (of course the dll strings
would expand the size considerably).

I have been considering a way of storing the strings in the dfm in a special
stringlist like object with an editor (design and run -time) that allows you
to replace the individual strings (not delete them).
Could perhaps allow selection of compressed languages (expand and merge).
At least the strings should always be available! (excepting of course if you
dynamically load ZipMaster).

I did find that if you use run-time packages (itself a dll) you can link the
strings to it - does not help much as you have to distribute the package
(another dll).
- Russell Peters