[delphizip] Re: New format

  • From: Alistair George <bigal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James Turner <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 10:59:00 +1300

Hello James,
JT> to add additional features, but other zip programs won't be able to
JT> interpret this data so very little is actually gained by using this
JT> approach.
I disagree. If you have backwards compatibility that means your new format can
still write to suit current decompressors _if need be_.
If you invent a totally new format you are likely to end up with 'just another
format' which might end up relegated to the bin like so many others in the past
have been. Was not the RAR format superior to ZIP?

The  only reason for not maintaining compliance with ZIP is that if the ZIP file
header construct prohibits you from including the main shortcomings we have been
speaking about. Once again IMHO,
Al+