[delphizip] New format

  • From: Gerard <gslurink@xxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:32:09 +0200

Hi all,

I am using now delphizip for several months and I am having difficulties
all the time achieving the things I have in mind. I mostly manage but it
takes quite some tricks to get it done. I don't think that this is because
of the existing code. Chris, Eric, Russell and the others did a great job.
I think it is an essential shortcoming of the way zip files are designed
and urge to stay compatible with it. I have the impression that the zip
format was designed for batch file processing and not so much for single
file operations, (ie to rename a file you must to rewrite the whole zip file).

A thought came to my mind. What about a new format, which uses still the
proven compression methods (and allows for adding new methods) but stores
the files in a different structure, which makes single file access more
convinient and allows for all sorts of options which are now difficult to
achieve. Something like a 'file-object database'.

We would lose compatibility with the zip format, but for many applications,
except for the Winzip clones (this is not meant negative - I have my own
Winzip clone :^), this might not be such a big problem.
We could use very much of the experience we have to design a new format.

What are your thoughts ?
Does this sound crazy, asking for trouble, an effort only for someone who
has nothing else to do or might this be a good idea ?
What are the fundamental problems and shortcomings you encounter, what are
your wishlists ?

Please your reactions,
Regards, Gerard.