[ddots-l] Re: musical thoughts

  • From: "Steve Wicketts" <steve.wicketts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddtots" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:59:37 +0100

Hi Shawn,

Sunset Hotel 2 has a lovely feel to it.
It's hard to just listen to a peace of music on this forum as the autopsy diagnostic Ear switches on and the beauty of the music gets lost in the technical investigation. I tried not to guess what instruments or softsynths were used, just listened to the song and how it made me feel.

The other version of Sunset Hotel, I thought lacked emotion, although I did like the Waves at the beginning, the funky bass guitar and electric piano parts.

Regarding the fee, $1000 isn't bad when you think of the Hours it takes.

The thing you have to remember here is everyone on this list will hear both tracks and give you different opinions as both tracks are good in different ways.

Take the George Michael song "Careless Whisper" when I was a Kid, I thought that was the most beautiful song I'd ever heard. I even loved the string sound, yes that god awful string sound. I still don't think "Careless Whisper" would sound better with a different string sound, I guess it's good he couldn't in the day put the song up on a forum like this? lol

Regarding Sunset Hotel 2, The sweet strings, the overall feel on the song plus the fact no instruments were competing with the guitar is
why I liked that version more.

I'd personally just put the Waves and all the atmosphere on the front of Sunset Hotel 2.
Steve W